Generating over $100 million in revenue our PE-backed client (headquartered outside of Columbus, OH) provides innovative and abuse-resistant wire and cable solutions to diversified, high cost of failure applications. For over four decades, our client has been a leading supplier of ruggedized, high-performance solutions designed to withstand abuse from impact, abrasion, continuous flexing, caustic chemicals, and extreme temperatures for a wide range of industries. Our client works closely with its customers to provide specific MRO and OEM supply chain solutions, including custom-designed wire and cable products and in-house engineering expertise.
Title: Sales & Marketing Manager – Military and Aerospace
Reporting to: SVP of Engineered Products
Direct reports – none
Travel: up to 50%
With direction from the SVP of Engineered Products, the Sales & Marketing Manager - Military and Aerospace will be responsible for leading sales and strategic marketing for our client’s Military and Aerospace segment. The newly created will serve as a key driver of commercial strategy and success partnering with the SVP of Engineered Products, product and application specialists, and the functional leaders of the business to develop and drive the strategic plan and performance of the Military and Aerospace segment. This role will develop the strategic plan to include product detail, vendor or resources detail and customer strategies and initiatives.
- Develop and execute a commercial strategy to achieve 10%+ organic revenue CAGR and profitability goals along with broader growth objectives.
- Provide focused, business-minded sales and strategic marketing leadership and execution, emphasizing measurable contribution to business success and business metrics (revenue growth, new customer wins, existing customer penetration, profitability, market share, customer service, expense, etc.). Implement metrics, systems, and processes for winning and growing high-potential customers
- Identify, on the basis of segment and customer value analysis techniques, prospects with the highest potential value for engagement, develop and execute cross-functional plans to penetrate high priority accounts
- Define and drive sales and marketing best practices while emphasizing a collaborative approach. Drive an internal culture of collaboration with product and application specialists, sales teams, marketing, and engineering
- Assist in evaluation of strategic fit of potential acquisitions, including product set, customer relationships, competitive position, and cross-sell opportunities. Support integration of acquired companies into existing commercial structure to drive cross-sell, leverage shared resources, and accelerate growth
- Define and deploy world class processes and tools for sales team to support sales effectiveness, accountability, and efficiency including, but not limited to: Strategic Selling Process, Sales Funnel Management, Sales Forecasting, CRM and active engagement in the Sales planning process.
- Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers, key accounts, priority customers, partners, and the industry at large. Represent the company in a way that promotes the company’s reputation as the industry leader.
- Carefully assess the market and competitive landscape for new product and application opportunities, and push the organization embrace value-added solution selling strategies and methodologies.
- Develop and implement a contemporary pricing model. Review profitability on a product line and customer basis. Work with cross-functional management to identify opportunities and execute any necessary pricing strategies.
- Attract, develop and retain talented and skilled individuals who bring key skills, knowledge and technical capabilities to the platform. Drive the principles of a value selling and performance-based organization in the development, enhancement and reinforcement of the team.
The Sales & Marketing Manager – Military and Aerospace must be a proven, highly effective salesperson with well-honed business skills.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years progressive experience in commercial management (“commercial” is defined as sales, marketing and/or business development), selling to Military and Aerospace customers within a B2B environment. Ideal candidates will have held commercial responsibility for a complex decentralized commercial organization of a similar scale.
Wire, cable, and interconnect experience is a decided plus. Keen orientation of digital commerce/commercial growth and technology as a business enabler and accelerant. Lastly, ideal candidates have led an organization through significant change converting strategy, processes, culture, and behavior.
Additional qualifications include:
- Must have experience successfully leading transformational change to sales organization structure, process, and/or culture, including the ability to performance manage and drive a culture of accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results while working on multiple priorities simultaneously, balancing resources, timing, and results with a sense of urgency and accountability.
- Must have commercial integration experience.
- Ideal candidates will have experience selling engineered, high cost-of-failure products and components to primes in the Military and Aerospace segment.
- Experience expanding into adjacencies and new product introduction is preferred.
- Hands on, data driven sales professional with strong executive presence and sense of accountability.
- Collaborative, strong interpersonal skills, ability to negotiate.
- Demonstrated record of success in developing and implementing sales strategic plans to increase market share as well as building the organizational infrastructure to support significant growth objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to move seamlessly from the strategic to the tactical.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, required.
- Strong background in sales management and tools (i.e. Value Pricing, CRM, Business Intelligence, Value Selling, etc.) required.
- *Familiarity with Military and Aerospace customers, products and applications.
The successful candidate will have an undergraduate degree in business or engineering. An advanced degree in business (MBA) or another related discipline is an advantage.