The Procurement Manager leads a team of buyer/planners on the execution of the site material plan in support of site operations. The role, and department, is a key contributor to the overall success of the site in regard to customer satisfaction through schedule attainment and product quality, as well as corporate objectives for revenue, margin and net working capital performance.
This role plans, directs and supervises the procurement of all materials, supplies, services, and equipment at the site to ensure that all demand requirements are met by supply. The role manages the Procurement team to ensure all assigned material items are purchased as per accepted company standards, procedures and policies.
The position will lead the team in analyzing material demand requirements to determine if material is required to be sourced and/or rescheduled in order minimize the level of on-hand inventory and financial obligation. Identifies and executes strategic procurement projects to reduce unit pricing, minimize inventory and improve inventory turns. Maintains supplier metrics with regards to quality, on-time delivery and pricing volatility. Studies market trends, interviews vendors and recommends sources of supply. Advances the operations planning process to achieve a predictable demand flow while optimizing working capital and preventing disruptions.
- Leads the day-to-day operations of the Procurement Department, including the activities of all material buyer/planners.
- Supervise the Procurement Department to ensure assigned products are purchased as per accepted company guidelines (i.e. ISO procedures).
- Collaborate with global team to drive strategic sourcing locally, support global initiatives, and share best practices
- Measure impact of sourcing, planning, and purchasing execution and leverage visual management to communicate results and opportunities for improvement
- Responsible for identifying, establishing and managing Procurement Department goals and objectives with primary focus on inventory control, cost management, material support and supplier/partner metrics.
- Negotiate and direct development of purchase orders, supply agreements, supply contracts and competitive bids to support competitive situations.
- Develop and implement strategies for negotiations of price reductions and payment terms
- Analyze material requirements through MRP forecasts or special requests, and initiate purchasing activity based on current needs analysis.
- Continuous assessment of Supplier metrics and ability to conform to required standards as established in conjunction with Operations teams and other stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of "Supplier Scorecards" to measure performance and partner with Manufacturing and Quality to evaluate performance.
- Facilitate activities between supplier and internal customers in communicating requests and resolving problems such as design issues, changes in specifications, and/or non-compliance in both product quality & documentation.
- Perform consistent material operations review to ensure planned demand is met by supply requirement
- Assist in resolving problems with purchases or services; discuss defective or unacceptable goods/services with users, suppliers or inspection/quality control to determine source trouble/problem and appropriate corrective action.
- Lead supplier selection and qualification team.
- Regularly review open orders with regards to changes in demand and inventory position, reschedule/cancel order accordingly to maintain minimized levels of inventory
- General purchasing duties such issuing purchase orders and order entry
- Prepare reports and presentations, and work on special projects as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (BA) from four-year college or university and a minimum of eight years related experience and/or training.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience and comfort working with data from a variety of sources
- Advanced spreadsheet techniques (Excel) required
- ERP data analysis and report running (SAP) strongly preferred
- The ability to translate data into meaningful planning information for Finance, Sales and Operations teams.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly identify issues and find workable solutions
- Understanding of Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) techniques and concepts
- Manufacturing requirements planning
- Able to manage multiple projects/processes under tight concurrent deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Applies knowledge to resolve unprecedented problems or issues