We are proud to be working exclusively with our client, a leading regional meat distribution company on their Operations Director opening on the south side of Chicago, near Midway Airport. This is a brand-new role as they are in the process of doubling their revenue and they are looking for an ambitious person to lead their Transportation, Warehousing, Inventory, and Logistics functions. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing company with a lot of freedom to drive improvements within the organization.
This Operations Director will be responsible for overseeing DOT regulation compliance, developing systems & best practices, leading multiple departments in addition to their respective employees, and building out the necessary infrastructure to support the company as they continue to grow in the years ahead. We are looking for a hands-on leader willing to tackle both strategic development and day-to-day issues with experience in perishable goods.
Operations Director Responsibilities
- Oversee the internal trucking fleet of semis and box trucks including truck inspection and ensure all DOT regulations are followed.
- Manage the team of Drivers (around 15).
- Working with the truck leasing partner on agreement compliance and contract negotiation.
- Manage the daily routing of the trucking fleet to deliver perishable products on-time and meeting all quality & delivery standards.
- Implement the necessary technology to track deliveries in real-time.
- Provide leadership to the warehousing department (around 20 employees) including the Warehouse Manager.
- Verify stock is being stored and loaded for shipment by date to maintain product freshness for delivery.
- Improve inventory reconciliation program.
- Develop necessary metrics to track performance and identify areas for continued improvement.
- Provide training on best practices.
- Understand USDA and HACCP guidelines and reporting.
- Ensure all product inventory and supplies are properly tracked for reordering and restocking.
Operations Director Requirements
- A Bachelor degree is required.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience involving the transportation and warehousing of perishable food products, meat is preferred.
- Bilingual in English & Spanish is beneficial but not required.
- Knowledge of DOT regulations across multiple states within the Midwest.
- Previous demonstratable success in inventory management.
- Prior management of employees in transportation or warehousing.