The Lucas Group is searching for an experienced and talented Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management to add as a key member of our client’s teams in Washington D.C. Our client is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and investigations, regulatory and transactional matters. The firm is a Global 200 firm that helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management primarily works with and supports our client’s Intellectual Property practice group. The Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management will develop and implement practice group business development strategies to strengthen and expand relationships with current clients and cultivate new clients. In addition, the Manager will identify and execute approaches to elevate the external and internal profile of the practice. The Manager will also support the leadership of the practice group in management areas, including operations, economics, recruiting and talent development. The Manager may also have responsibility for a working group, initiative, or secondary practice group as assigned.
This position will also work closely with other members of the Client Development & Practice Management Department, including public relations, marketing, and marketing technology, as well as the Financial Planning, Recruiting, Professional Development and Diversity Departments to ensure their initiatives support firm priorities and help drive overall firm strategy
· Partners with practice and working group leaders and assigned Director to develop and implement strategic plans.
· Engages with practice group and attorneys to understand the legal and business needs of clients and the corresponding legal solutions the firm provides. Through practice group “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the work the group and lawyers do.
· Drives business development goals of assigned group, including support for generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
· Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
· Supports, monitors and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for assigned groups.
· Works with individual lawyers and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
· In collaboration with Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
· Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
· Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for their assigned groups.
· Ensures matters/experience lists and databases for assigned groups are maintained.
· Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile for assigned practice, including outward facing activities such as sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities, client alerts, and articles and other publications.
· Works with events team to plan and support practice group events.
· Oversees the timely preparation and submission of the Chambers, Law360 and other ranking submissions for the assigned groups.
· Working with practice group leaders, ensures practice group meetings have strong agendas and are well-run.
· In collaboration with the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, reviews and analyzes financial reports provided by the Finance Department and updates group leaders on key performance indicators.
· In collaboration with practice group leadership and the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, oversees the development, submission and ongoing monitoring of the group revenue and expense budgets for the year.
· Collaborates with the firm’s Attorney Recruiting group and Lawyer Development Committee supports recruiting initiatives.
· In collaboration with the firm’s Lateral Partner Recruiting Group, the Attorney Recruiting Group and a Senior Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management, supports the integration of lateral attorneys in the assigned group.
· Assists with other practice management functions as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business or related field required. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree is preferred.
· 8+ years of increasingly responsible, directly related business development and marketing experience within a law firm or professional services organization is required.
· Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others.
· Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
· Excellent writing skills.
· Experience with content creation and messaging development.
· Strong business and marketing acumen. Ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
· Strong knowledge of and familiarity with legal and business environments.
· Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles and experience monitoring and managing budgets.
This Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management position requires professional and prudent communications working in a team environment with a diverse group of associates. If you like new challenges every day and are charged up by a fast-paced environment, this is an exciting opportunity for you.
Please email your resume to Amanda Cooper at the Lucas Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow me on LinkedIn for new roles and industry information at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucasgroupcreativeamanda/