Our client is a multi-billion dollar food distributor and we are proud to be exclusively partnering with them on their Distribution General Manager opening in the Chicago metro. This is an appealing opening for someone with experience managing warehouse operations, driving employee engagement, and overseeing all transportation preferably in a cold storage or union employee environment. This facility has a solid management team, and we are seeking a polished leader to maintain a high level of performance while also developing the team members to be ready for career growth opportunities. We are offering a strong base salary, annual bonus, car allowance, and relocation for the ideal candidate.
The GM will manage a 100+ union employee, 3 temperature zone food distribution facility. In addition to managing all inventory, safety, and quality standards within the warehouse, the General Manager will also oversee their team of drivers facilitating customer deliveries. The GM will have P&L responsibility for the site. We are looking for a polished leader that can interact with customers to resolve issues. This site has an established management team, and it is important to find someone that is passionate about developing their employees.
General Manager Responsibilities
- Management of the entire facility including all departments
- Work with customers to ensure cost, delivery, and customer service levels meet internal & external expectations
- Oversee the transportation function, including a large team of drivers
- Lead the daily operations of the distribution facility
- Drive employee engagement & career development
- Responsible for the P&L for the entire operation
- Represent the company in CBA negotiations, grievances, and leadership meetings as needed.
- Maintain all food quality & safety standards in a 3-temperature (ambient, refrigerated, and frozen) food distribution center
General Manager Requirements
- A Bachelor degree in Supply Chain, Operations, or a related field is preferred
- Experience working in food distribution and/or cold storage is required
- Previous leadership experience
- Past employment in a union facility is beneficial but not required
- Ability to manage both the warehousing and transportation functions of a distribution center
- P&L management experience is a plus