Lucas Group is excited to partner with a thriving E&P company that is looking to continue their succession planning. Great people with an entrepreneurial mind set and progressive focus to growing the business.
Director SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting
Job Summary: The primary responsibilities will be to assist the Controller in ensuring that the Company's SEC filings are timely and compliant and technical accounting positions are documented and supportable.
- Lead all technical accounting research for any complex, unusual or significant transactions.
- Assess and document accounting conclusions and disclosures related to new accounting pronouncements, mergers/acquisitions, debt/equity transactions, etc.
- Lead the quarterly and annual external reporting process
- Prepare work papers supporting amounts and disclosures.
- Prepare initial draft of all reports on Form 10-K/Q and related disclosures checklists.
- Coordinate comment collection and disposition for internal and external reviewers of process internally and externally.
- Ensure filings are presented in accordance with GAAP requirements and SEC regulations.
- Primary external auditor contact during quarterly and annual reporting and technical accounting matters.
- Proactively identify and research future accounting and reporting changes by regulators and own what the Company should consider.
- Understand and advise of the potential impacts of business decisions on accounting and SEC reporting.
- Identify financial reporting risks, assess financial reporting processes and manage the preparation of the Company's 401(k) financial statements.
- Assist with the preparation and review of the financial information and disclosures related to the annual proxy filing.
- Other duties and special projects as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Business Administration/Accounting
- Six years of audit experience in a large public accounting firm.
- Experience managing integrated (i.e., public company) audits of independent exploration and production (E&P) registrants.
- Independent E&P SEC reporting experience, including:
- Preparing current, quarterly and annual SEC filings using SEC reporting platforms such as RDG Thunderdome, Merrill Bridge, Workiva, etc.
- Maintaining supporting information for all financial information included in filings.
- Working with external auditors in their review/audit of filings.
- Financial systems experience with P2 BOLO (including DAV/financial statement interface), P2 AFE, P2 Reporting and Assent 143 applications.
- Technical expertise on accounting and reporting matters relevant to public independent E&P corporations (e.g., full cost method of accounting, business combinations, stock-based
compensation, fair value, asset retirement obligations, earnings per share, tax provisions, revenue recognition, lease accounting, etc.) and coordinating national office review of client positions.
- Experienced in commenting on SEC Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, earnings releases and comment letters.
- Experienced and proficient in written communication of technical accounting positions.
- History of implementing improvements in existing financial reporting processes.
- Highly proficient in financial analysis as a means to forming conclusions on the reasonableness of financial information.
- Experience communicating and building rapport with members of boards of directors, executive management and departments throughout the Company.
- Self-motivated and self-directed individual with strong time management skills and the ability to work within tight deadlines.
Certain professional competencies summarize how all employees are expected to perform and are used organizationally as metrics to measure employee performance:
- Action Oriented – enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Timely Decision Making – makes decisions in a timely manner; sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision.
- Decision Quality – makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Functional/Technical Skills – has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Learning on the Fly – learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Negotiating – can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relations; can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
- Peer Relationships – can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interest and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
- Problem Solving – uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers.
- Self-Knowledge – knows personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and limits; seeks feedback; gains insights from mistakes; is open to criticism; is not defensive; is receptive to talking about shortcomings; looks forward to balanced performance reviews and career decisions.
- Time Management – uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values times; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.