We are seeking a Global Category Manager, Direct Procurement, who will develop and execute global buying strategies for a category of raw materials. This includes using state-of-the-art purchasing tools to optimize and rationalize costs for the corporation and negotiate global agreements including prices and payment terms. In addition, the position will develop global procurement strategies for the category, identify new suppliers, align the strategies cross-functionally working closely with our business operations and technology colleagues in support of the business. The role will also facilitate and lead semi-decentralized teams reporting through the regions in achieving the procurement objectives and goals. Tools, such as, economic cost models, cash cost of manufacturing product, understanding global capacity and supply / demand parameters will be deployed as part of category strategy development.
Overall, the position will report to the Chief Procurement Officer and interact closely with the regional / plant procurement teams as well as business operations, technology / R&D, finance, and other functions as necessary.
- Accountable for managing an annual direct material spend of $100+ MM
- Achieve Y-o-Y cost savings, enable product substitution working closely with technology, manage supplier relationships & business plans, help manage working capital (AP, inventory, et.al.)
- Align and influence regional/plant procurement teams to meet collective goals and objectives
- Develop global procurement and procurement strategies and contracts to execute a step change in terms of buy over the next 24-36 months
- Negotiate prices and terms
- Execute agreements as the Buyer of Record
- Lead cross-functional efforts to qualify alternate or second source suppliers
- Implement cost-effective and compliant delivery routes for all purchases
- Monitor and resolve major disconnects in the buy, release, receive, and pay process
- Maintain effective relationships with suppliers and internal clients
- Bachelor's degree in sciences/engineering, supply chain, logistics, operations, business, or a related field. A Master's degree is a benefit.
- Overall work experience of five plus years of which, three or more years' experience purchasing raw materials. Experience in the chemicals, discrete industrial and/or process industries is a benefit.
- Experience working with and managing a large category spend with strategic implications.
- Experience managing supplier and customer relationships and the competitive bidding process.
- Proven record of driving cost savings working in a global matrixed organization, is a plus.
- Experience with progressive procurement tools, such as cost structures, supplier business plans, electronic auctions, cost savings agreements, etc.
- Experience leading diverse, multi-functional teams.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong system skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint; Understanding MRP/ERP Systems, such as, Radius, SAP, et.al. a big plus.
- Strong problem-solving capability.
- Superior communication skills.
- Service-oriented mindset, with a desire to ensure client satisfaction.
- Desire and aptitude to develop and advance in the professional procurement function.
- Multi-lingual skills would be a nice to have.
- Ability to travel about 20-25%, including international travel
This position provides strong growth and developmental opportunities, the chance to be part of a dynamic procurement team within a fast-growing global company, with competitive pay and benefits.