The Controller reports directly to the CFO of the company and manages a staff of financial professionals in the general accounting, financial reporting, and accounting operations areas. Additionally, the Controller works closely on business finance issues with the lead executives of the company’s functional areas. This position needs to be able to take general direction and guidance as it relates to discrete projects, strategic initiatives, and business challenges and provide insightful analysis and solutions. This is an autonomous, hands-on financial and accounting role that is expected to serve as a strategic business partner to the organization’s leadership and business functions. A successful candidate will have experience across all financial disciplines; be hands-on in improving processes, internal controls, and transparency of business information; and can play an instrumental role in strengthening the company’s growth profile by taking on special projects at a moment’s notice and quickly focusing on identifying issues and solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Critically measure and analyze the organization’s financial position.
- Develop a process-oriented and efficient accounting and control function.
- Oversee the general accounting and general ledger functions for the company.
- Oversee all internal and external financial reporting for the company.
- Manage and improve the monthly close process and work to shorten days to close.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and control financial policies for the company.
- Oversee the implementation and compliance with key accounting policies.
- Help prepare a robust financial reporting package, including insightful analysis of key variances vs. budget and prior year, for use by the executive team.
- Champion a culture of continuous improvement. Set priorities and goals for the department.
- Manage external auditors and ensure completeness of all documentation required for annual audits.
- Work closely with IT to assist in systems improvements. Continually search for ways to utilize technology to improve the financial function and business performance.
- Serve as a key resource to senior management on financial reporting issues as they relate to business performance.
- Recruit, develop, motivate, and retain high caliber team members. Coach and lead the team to continuously improve operational performance.
- Build an organizational climate within the finance and accounting group that promotes collaboration and commitment by providing learning and growth opportunities for employees while consistently raising performance expectations.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in key financial management role(s).
- Experience in public accounting or large corporate environment combined with private equity experience is desirable.
- Candidates must demonstrate exceptional analytical skills and business insights, a history of adding extraordinary value, and a history of creativity and collaboration in order to achieve results in a demanding environment.
- BA/BS degree in business, finance or related field required. CPA required.
- Experience in managing the Controller function; telecommunications and/or construction management experience preferred.
- Proven ability to build, develop, and lead a team of financial professionals.
- Depth of experience in creating accounting processes and standards as well as financial systems transformations.
- Ability to work as a business partner to senior management.
- Advanced understanding of GAAP and the ability to apply these principles to new and existing transactions.
- Expertise in procedures and standards including solid internal controls.
- Experience in redesigning financial management infrastructure and processes.
- Successful experience in building organizational capability and strengthening an organization’s capacity to grow and adapt, including upgrading and developing talent and building the bench strength within the organization.