Controller Job – Job #1568187
The Controller will provide management leadership and oversee company financial and accounting operations, to include maintenance of a system of accounting records, a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, and ensure the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results for yearly audits, complying with GAAP. They will manage and support numerous financial transactions, from AR and variable expenses, to bank deposits and reconciliation. This person will report to the owner and CEO, liaising with the CTO/COO and other executive management, and will supervise the accounting staff, which includes an assistant controller, a bookkeeper, a tax analyst, a senior accountant, and remote financial support personnel.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including helping with the design of an organization structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
- Maintain payroll records for approx. 5,000+ contingent employees, non-exempt employees.
- Subject matter expert with the accounting/payroll system, payroll practices and company requirements and policies.
- Work with a sense of urgency to ensure payroll completeness and accuracy, and effectively communicate payroll deadlines to prevent disruption to the process.
- Prepare reports (headcount, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for Management as needed.
- Prepare core financial reports (balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows, AP/AR aging’s, gross margin analysis) on a recurring basis for internal and external sources.
- Perform ad hoc financial reporting and analysis for internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitor any legal issues involving company, and legal issues affecting the industry.
- Monitor banking activities, ACH, positive pay and cash and LOC balances and bank reconciliations.
- Oversee A/P and A/R, with attention to prompt A/R collection.
- Maintain financial security by designing, implementing and managing internal controls and payroll and accounting policies and procedures documentation.
- Research and interpret accounting policy and regulations to aid constructing company policies.
- Maintain customer confidence and safeguard confidential financial information for internal and external purposes.
- Responsible for multi-state local, state, and federal government compliance, reporting requirements and tax filings. Manage issuance of W-2s and 1099s.
- Work with external CPA firm for annual audit and tax requirements, and bankers to ensure compliance with bank debt covenants.
- Maintain insurance coverage and policies.
- Some HR responsibilities including overseeing employee benefit plans and overseeing internal staff payroll, sales commission and PTO.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible work experience as an accountant performing routine transaction and reporting functions, fluency with general ledger functions.
- Preferred proficiency in Sage 100 and Microsoft Dynamic.
- 3-5+ years solid experience with payroll processing and time keeping software.
- Strong computer skills, specifically in MS Excel; proficient in data entry and time management.
- Strong technical proficiency, attention to detail, and good analytical skills.
- Organized and able to prioritize.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively within a small/midsize office environment in Golden, CO.