Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
Directly Reports To
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: NE (Boston area)
Our client is a PE-backed multi-site healthcare organization.
Summary of Job Requirements
The CMO will be a critical leader in the creation, execution and support of the healthcare client’s strategy. The CMO is responsible for driving business growth and market share through the development and execution of marketing strategies to enable the our client’s growth plan. The CMO is a member of the executive leadership team with oversight for the enterprise marketing, communications, product management, and new business development functions. The CMO liaises with other members of the senior leadership team to successfully achieve the Company’s objectives, in line with the organization’s vision and values. The CMO will be expected to provide trusted advice, both from a strategic and tactical perspective, apply deep experience to drive management decisions, and be a strong voice for the Company with internal and external constituents.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Develop and foster strong relationships with the SLT, Board of Directors, customers, vendors and other external constituents, and be a strong representative for the Company.
- Responsible for leading the organization’s customer and market research and segmentation strategy to facilitate a company-wide culture shift.
- Provide the strategic marketing vision, tactical execution and leadership necessary to enable and enhance the Company’s sales growth, drive value from inorganic and organic growth initiatives, and to proactively anticipate/leverage new market opportunities.
- Provide brand leadership/serve as the lead brand advocate throughout the Company and for all external constituents.
- Responsible for creating and centralizing the Company’s product management focus – including product development, distribution channel management, advertising/promotions, and pricing strategies to ensure alignment across the organization.
- Work across all functions within the organization to build understanding of the marketing drivers including but not limited to strategic payer model innovations from fee-for-service to bundled, capitated, risk-sharing and other contemporary and streamlined models.
- Ensure the organization's communications/messaging are distributed across channels and to targeted audiences (internal and external) in order to meet objectives, including but not limited to key publications, the annual National Leadership Conference, Company online commerce platform, mobile platforms, video, and social media.
- Lead focus group initiatives to understand how users and customers affiliate with the Company’s brand and how the Company delivers & measures value from this experience.
- Provide the necessary analytical framework and metrics to support and deliver the marketing strategy, enable informed business decisions early to capitalize on opportunities.
- Cultivate a strong marketing organization team and culture. Implement leadership development and succession plans to support the current and future talent needs of the Company.
- Ensure all regulatory/risk management reporting requirements are met for areas of responsibility and provide adequate structure and discipline around internal controls.
- Results: Proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; Evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; The ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget.
- Strategic Vision & Agility: Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan; Ability to think creatively and develop non-traditional solutions to complex business challenges.
- Capacity Building: Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Leadership & Organization: Exceptional capacity for managing and leading teams and individuals; A team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; Ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; Capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders, cultivate entrepreneurship and innovation, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed; Regularly demonstrates the ability and interest in rolling-up sleeves to achieve team and Company objectives.
- Interpersonal, Organizational & Business Savvy: Strong communication & negotiation skills; Skilled at matrix organization management; Actively engages others in evaluating problems, sharing ideas, and securing shared solutions; Tests solutions over time for suitability, recognizing the implications to the business enterprise and stakeholders; Artful at keeping the balance between hands-on and strategic; Able to leverage all to facilitate performance & growth.
Education and Experience
- 15+ years demonstrated experience in developing AND executing successful, growth driving marketing, marketing communications, branding, customer intelligence strategies in early-stage, mid and large companies.
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA or graduate degree preferred
- Experience in Six Sigma or Lean program development and implementation
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles, brand, product and service management, business development and innovation
- Deep understanding of changing market dynamics