Under the guidance and direction of the EVP Merchandising, this position is responsible for the development of assigned product categories inclusive of sales and gross profit growth, online and catalog merchandising as well as product and supplier management.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Develop business plans for multiple product lines to achieve budgeted goals in sales, margin, operating profit, customer acquisition, repurchase, retention and customer satisfaction.
- Drive execution of approved plans through effective partnership with retail, field sales, marketing, site operations, finance and customer service
- Responsible for assortment selection with executing a business review of category/ categories on a regular basis; determining changes to product mix to better optimize assortment and drive innovation. Identify new products through detailed sourcing review including import sourcing as applicable
- Negotiate with vendors to secure lowest total delivered cost, volume incentives, rebates, advertising and other applicable allowances
- Develop accurate financial and item forecasts with Finance and Inventory Management
- Manage catalog and online merchandising to ensure an easy, error free shopping experience for our Customers
- Work with Corporate Pricing and industry benchmarks to determine optimal pricing strategies
- Continually, monitor product categories for sales and gross margin performance, competitiveness and service levels. Develop action plans for products and/or categories not meeting performance goals. Develop and execute actions to increase sales and or improve gross margins.
- Responsible for discontinuing products within the system and the disposition of existing inventories. Review and recommend product line revisions including deletions.
- Improve supply chain efficiencies, including improved inventory turns, reduction in customer returns rate, improved order fill rate, effective selling strategies to reduce end of life inventory challenges, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising, Business or relevant discipline
- 6+ years of experience in B2B Merchandising or related Product Management, Brand Management, Merchandising function supporting a sales organization
- Advanced negotiation skills and proven ability to lead in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships across the organization and with vendors
- Expert knowledge of industry trends, competition, assortment planning, customer buying patterns, inventory management, logistics and marketing techniques
- Strong business acumen; proficient in developing and understanding analytics and other measurement tools required for targeted actions, plan modifications, and sustainable results
- Excellent communication, planning and organizational skills
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- This position has no direct reporting personnel but requires a high degree of collaboration and communication with other departments.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- 2-3 years' experience in the construction trades
- 2-3 years' in category merchandising
- 3-5 years' relationship management of product supplier and/or vendors
- 3+ years’ experience negotiating supplier/vendor pricing
- Deep understanding in applied analytics
- Collaboration abilities, teamwork and inter-departmental communication skills are critical to the success of this position
- Nearly all of the tasks required in this position require highly competent computer skills
- Data collection and analytical skills are paramount to analyze product performance, including cost estimating, turns, service levels and GM-ROI.
- Advanced understanding of internal and environmental sales drivers
- Merchandising and retail planning expertise
- Strong analytical skills
- Expert communication and negotiation skills
- Project execution skills. ability to negotiate business terms
- Ability and willingness to work in a highly cross-functional environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specialized with Excel
- Ability to work independently