The Assistant Controller is responsible for all areas relating to external financial reporting and technical accounting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including financial reporting, internal control documentation with respect to external reporting, technical accounting, process improvement and audit preparation. The Assistant Controller will report to the Controller and have contact with Executive Leadership which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all quarterly financial information.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Maintains a high level of accuracy.
- Advises team regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the Controller, and other finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely audit.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Support Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Ensure compliance with the Company’s governance procedures, risk management and internal control policies.
- Collaborate with Internal Audit to ensure proper compliance.
- Develop and document local business processes and accounting policies to demonstrate compliance with internal control requirements.
- Promote strong Internal Control practices across all areas of the business.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings as required
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded in the ledgers.
- Improve the Management Information supplied to site management
- Production of yearly Statutory Accounts
- Liaising with external audit as required
Required Education / Experience / Skills:
- BA/BS in Business in Accounting
- CPA/CMA preferred
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Seven to ten years prior experience in a big four audit firm or financial reporting department of a complex US listed Corporate Accounting Department.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with Oracle ERP system and Hyperion is a plus. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
- Strong US GAAP knowledge.
- Strong SEC Reporting Requirements knowledge.
- Process focused and driver to provide leadership around system and process improvements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required